Monday 15 April 2019

Holiday Model Shop Discovery!


Last week I returned to Belfast for a couple of days to visit old university friends. During the short plane journey I had lamented the recent loss of The Modellers Nook which I'd frequented often over the years, deciding that a trawl round the secondhand book stores along Botanic Avenue was the only shopping I was likely to do. It was much to my delight I instead found a new (to me anyway) model shop at the indoor Smithfield Market called My Old Toy Box. 

The premises are a fair size with two floors. The ground floor is stuffed with shelf upon shelf of Diecast models, but towards the back is an excellent stock of HaT plastic figures plus a decent sized section of Warlord and Perry Miniatures. I was really tempted with the HaT 1/72 Napoleonics, as I'd had a box of French Light Infantry a few years back and they were lovely to paint (and really cheap. One 'Army Box' was £9.95 for 90 figures!!!). Along with Naps were a lot of Colonial Anglo Zulu War etc. If I wasn't so heavily invested in 15mm and 28mm right now I would have been coming home with a few. Upstairs is primarily dedicated to Airfix, but my eyes did fall on a pile of old magazines and some wargaming magazines from the 80's many of which were in very good condition for their age. All priced at £1 each!! I dug through and came away with several early issues of Practical Wargamer and Wargames Illustrated. When I got back to my residence later I made a big mug of tea and lay on the bed for a couple of hours lost in a nostalgic paradise of old school wargaming.

If you find yourself in Belfast you should definitely check this place out.

No comments:

Post a Comment