Friday 9 April 2021

28mm French Cavalry Regiment of Louis XIV

 

Late 17th Century French cavalry regiment La Reine. All figures by Warfare Miniatures. I've decided on doing something our local club has so far never covered, with the hope that when this lockdown carry-on ends we'll be able to run some big Sunday games again.

I really loved painting these. They were done very quickly with contrast paints in probably half the time it'd usually take to do a cavalry regiment. I've bought two complete (metal) armies (the other is from Dixon Miniatures - I've always had a soft spot for their figures ever since I played with their ECW range years ago). The only slight quibble with both Dixon and Warfare is the weapon arms sometimes need to be attached, but the bonus is the slight difference in poses you can create.

There are several things that draw me to this period. First is the historical intrigue between the Anglo-Dutch, the French and a cast of others - which gives great scope for campaigns. The other is the sheer colour and array of styles and uniforms. Ever since I watched the TV series 'Versaille' I've been waiting for the fashionable return of the powdered wig!



4 comments:

  1. Superb brushwork mate really nice

    cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, these are beautiful figures, Matt. Not only your excellent brushwork, but the detailing of the sculpts too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Dean. They are nice figures to paint!

      Delete