Monday 3 April 2017

Numidians Sir! Thousands of 'em!!


...at least there will be once I've painted them all. I never intended to start a Numidian army, but I was visiting the TORM reenactors market near Coventry a few weeks ago and saw one of the stalls had some secondhand ancient plastics. After a bit of haggling I managed to secure two boxes of Wargames Factory Numidians still on the sprues, and a tub full of assembled ones. Mixed in with these were what I think may be Victrix Carthaginian. I'm going to use these as medium or heavy infantry.

The Numidians pictured above are the ones I've painted up from the tub so far, and are arrayed as slingers and javelin men to use as skirmishers.

The command stand is a medium infantry guard on foot, with a 1st Corps metal Numidian prince mounted. The latter is quite small when compared to Victrix or WF. But I've added some filler underneath him to raise the figure up a bit so the size difference is not as noticeable. I'm quite pleased with the end result. In fact I may use him as King Juba, especially since the recent Warlord Juba figure to me looks more like a Zulu warrior. I prefer to see him with a more Hellenistic or slight Roman influence in his appearance.

2 comments:

  1. Very nicely done, waiting for 'Thousands of 'em...'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent - can't have too many Numidians. The emergence of decent plastics has meant proper availability of armies that have usually been neglected, at least en masse. Welcome to the side of civilisation!

    ReplyDelete